I’m working hard to reduce the amount of sugar in the foods I cook and consume, especially desserts. Although using protein powder and no sweetener might seem a bit outrageous, these protein balls are a perfect quick, healthy breakfast or snack. They require no cooking, although a food processor is needed to thoroughly blend the ingredients. Did I say no sweetener 🙂
I’m a fan of using collagen protein powder and I like the Bulletproof Brand. It’s dairy free, gluten free and a great source of protein. The vanilla collagen used in this recipe provides 23 grams of protein, per 7.5 tablespoons or 2 scoops of powder. Collagen is believed to help support your skin, hair and bones.
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almond butter or other nut butter
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 scoops (7 1/2 TBL) protein powder Bulletproof Vanilla Collagen Protein Powder is available on-line or at Whole Foods.
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or more if mixture is too dry
- Combine both the cashews and pecans together in the food processor and pulse to chop. Add the almond butter, flax seed, 2 tablespoons coconut flakes (leaving 1 tablespoon to roll the balls), cinnamon, vanilla, protein powder and almond milk to the mixer. Blend until the mixture is starting to stick together, almost like dough. Using your hands or a small ice cream scoop, form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the remainder of the shredded coconut flakes. Store the balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The balls can be frozen as well.
They look delicious! And a healthier alternative.