Looking for a quick and easy snack that’s both salty and sweet? This recipe for dark chocolate covered sea salt popcorn with slivered almonds is sure to satisfy your cravings! Perfect for movie nights, game days or any time you need a little pick-me-up, this indulgent treat is a cinch to make, and impossible to resist. Simply pop some popcorn, melt some dark chocolate and toss it all together with crunchy slivered almonds, for a snack that’s both satisfying and delicious.
There are a few ways to make popcorn; using an air popper, in a paper bag in the microwave, and on the stove top. Personally, I think the best popcorn is made on the stovetop and believe it or not, in a wok with coconut oil! It’s fun to watch the little kernels, which are high in fiber, turn into a white, fluffy snack. You can also buy your favorite brand of popcorn and add some slivered almonds, before tossing the popcorn in chocolate. Spread the chocolate covered popcorn on a sheet tray to air dry and firm up before gobbling up the whole bowl.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other neutral oil like peanut or grapeseed oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds optional
- 4 ounces good quality dark chocolate melted
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a wok or large pot over high heat. Once the oil is melted add the popcorn kernels and cover the pot. Shake the wok or pan frequently while the popcorn is cooking. The popping noise will cease when the popcorn is done, about 3-4 minutes. Cautiously take off the cover. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and add the sea salt and slivered almonds, if using.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Add the melted chocolate to the bowl of popcorn and gently toss to completely coat the popcorn. Pour the coated popcorn in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Allow the popcorn to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until the chocolate is firm.
Pingback: Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Popcorn — Zest For Cooking | My Meals are on Wheels