At the recommendation of a foodie friend, I recently had an outstanding breakfast cereal bowl at a hip LA restaurant called Urth Caffé. Even the name is fun. I’m not sure that I could recreate that scrumptious cereal bowl, but here is a solid recipe for some delicious granola. We enjoyed that breakfast so much that we went early again the next morning before flying home. Serve this crunchy granola over yogurt with a smattering of fresh berries, over ricotta cheese with a drizzle of maple syrup or fill a bowl and enjoy with your favorite milk.
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup dried fruit- roughly chopped I like dried cranberries, dried cherries and/or crystalized ginger- optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients- oats, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, almonds, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the applesauce with the honey and the melted coconut oil. Add this applesauce mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and toss to coat. Scatter the granola in an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the granola for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the granola is golden and crisp. Let it cool completely. Transfer the granola to a bowl and stir in the dried fruit, if using.
Pingback: Coconut Quinoa Granola — Zest For Cooking | My Meals are on Wheels