This is a beautiful, simple avocado soup that is gluten and dairy free. The avocados are blended with sparkling water, lime juice and extra-virgin olive oil. The soup is then chilled. Although avocados are calorically dense they are a great source of healthy fats, fiber and potassium. Hass avocados have a higher percentage of oil than other varieties, making the texture more creamy. If you want to jazz up your soup, you can add toasted pumpkin seeds, additional red pepper flakes and a variety of fresh herbs.
- 4 ripe Hass avocados peeled and divided, you'll reserve one for garnish
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large ice cubes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Zest of a lime
- Juice of 2 limes about 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish basil, cilantro or oregano
- Splash of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt for garnish
- Cut the avocado flesh into cubes and set one aside for garnish. In a blender, puree the remaining 3 avocados together with the sparkling water, olive oil, ice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Zest the limes and set aside. Stir in the fresh lime juice. Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with the lime zest, red pepper flakes, reserved avocado cubes, fresh herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
Pingback: Chilled Avocado Soup — Zest For Cooking | My Meals are on Wheels