This bread is a family favorite with the combination of ripe bananas and chocolate chips. It’s moist and delectable, and the scent will waft through your kitchen as it’s baking. Let the banana bread cool and serve it warm. The bread will freeze well, if you have any slices left!
Let’s talk about flour, specifically about the weight of it. There is a difference between “2 cups sifted all-purpose flour” and “2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted”. Actually the variance is a few ounces and could make a difference in your baking. This banana bread recipe calls for 2 cups sifted, all-purpose flour. Sifting flour lightens it and removes any lumps. This means you should sift the flour into a bowl, then measure it. Generally, the best way to measure flour is to spoon the flour into the measuring cup. Gently pile it in until the measuring cup is overfilled, although don’t pack the flour down. Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level the flour. This method will give the most accurate measurement.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter plus extra butter for coating the baking pan
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 heaping cup ripe mashed bananas about 2 medium bananas
- 1 heaping cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with butter. Cut out a piece of wax or parchment paper the size of the bottom of the pan, and grease it with butter. Place at the bottom of the loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of standing mixer fitter with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and the sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Sift the flour for a second time with the baking powder, baking soda and salt, and then add into the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Gently fold the bananas into the mixture by hand using a rubber spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared load pan, pushing the dough into the corners leveling the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the bread until golden brown, about 1 hour. A wooden or metal skewer inserted into the center of the bread should come out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it sit in the pan to cool for about 10 minutes. Carefully turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the sheet of wax paper from the bottom before slicing and serving.