Summer outings, BBQ’s, and elegant picnics aren’t complete without potato salad. This recipe is an easy and lighter alternative to the goopy, mayo-laden version. This dish is so delicious with creamy steamed Yukon gold potatoes and soft boiled eggs mixed with a tangy mustard vinaigrette. Yum! Topped with some fresh chopped chives and a smattering of chopped dill pickles, this is a great summer dish.
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes or other starchy potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Steam the potatoes, covered, in a metal steamer basket set in a large pot over boiling water. Steam the potatoes until tender, about 20-30 minutes. Let the potatoes cool when done.
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs in a large pot of boiling water until whites are set and the yolks are still slightly soft. If you like your eggs more firm, cook them for a minute or two longer. Drain the eggs and transfer to a bowl of ice water and chill until cool. This will make for easier shell peeling.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard and honey together in a large bowl. While whisking vigorously, gradually add the olive oil in a steady stream. This creates an emulsion. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Halve or quarter the potatoes and add to the bowl with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat the potatoes. Transfer to a platter. After peeling the eggs, halve or quart them and gently toss with the potatoes. Top with pickles and chopped chives.