The delightful flavors of watermelon, ripe tomatoes and cucumbers come together to create this sweet and savory chilled soup. With the added tang of a lime and the heat of a jalapeño, this is the perfect dish for a hot and steamy summer night! This soup can be served smooth or chunky. If you want a combination of both, puree the soup completely in a blender or food processor, and then add the extra finely diced watermelon and cucumbers. If you want a spicier soup add more diced jalapeños, as well. Served chilled with a garnish of fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil. Yum 😍!
- 4 heaping cups seedless watermelon cubed (saving some for garnish)
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium hothouse cucumber peeled, seeded and diced (saving some for garnish)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeds and ribs removed, and diced (saving some for garnish)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-vigin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- basil leaves for garnish
- extra-vigin olive oil drizzled for garnish
- Combine the watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño and red onion in a food processor or a high speed blender. Pulse until almost smooth. Add the olive oil, vinegar, basil, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in the extra diced watermelon, cucumber and jalapeño, if using. Chill the soup for at least an hour or overnight so the flavors blend together. Adjust seasoning again before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve chilled.