These zucchini fritters are crispy, simple to make and perfect for the upcoming holidays. The fritter batter requires flour for texture and I used almond flour. Feel free to use another flour like chickpea or all-purpose flour. If you’re making these fritters for the Passover holiday you can use potato starch. The trick to achieving crispy fritters, is to remove as much moisture as possible from the grated zucchini. This is a two step process by first salting the grated zucchini and then squeezing out the moisture, using a cheese cloth or clean kitchen towel. You are then rewarded with delicious fritters with a tender interior and a crispy exterior. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or flour of your choice- I used almond flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil I like grapeseed oil
- Grate the zucchini using the large holes on a box grater or food processor. Place the grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Sprinkle some Kosher salt over the zucchini and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes to remove some of the moisture. Wrap the grated zucchini in a cheese cloth or clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much moisture from the zucchini as possible. You'll have about 4 cups of grated zucchini.
- Combine the grated zucchini with the flour, parmesan cheese and scallions in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. With a fork, mix to combine all of the ingredients together.
- Coat the bottom of a large non-stick pan with the oil. Place the pan over medium-high heat. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, place a spoonful of the batter in the skillet. Flatten out the tops of the fritters as they cook. Repeat using all the batter, refreshing the oil as needed in between each batch. Cook each fritter until it is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve the fritters immediately or keep warm in a low oven until ready to eat. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with yogurt of sour cream.