Need an idea for an easy weeknight dinner? I created healthy recipes using beautiful artisan greens for a sustainable produce company. This dish has all the wonderful flavors of tacos, but with lettuce leaves as the shell. Serve these yummy lettuce wraps with salsa, fresh guacamole, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro. I also roasted bell peppers and onions in olive oil, salt, pepper and a dash of sherry vinegar to serve with the wraps. The cayenne pepper provides the heat and the chipotle powder provides the smoky flavor. Customize the level of spiciness to your taste. Serve the elements separately and let everyone assemble their own wrap!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken I like using chicken thighs
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-vigin olive oil
- Zest of one lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 large head of bib or butter lettuce washed and large leaves intact
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the oil, zest and juice of the lime, chipotle, cumin and cayenne powders and salt. Whisk to combine the ingredients, add the chicken to the marinade and turn to coat it completely. Let the chicken sit at room temperature in the marinade for up to 30 minutes or so.
- Place the marinated chicken on a sheet tray or roasting pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through at 165 degrees F. Serve the chicken with the vegetables, lettuce leaves and toppings such as guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.