I thought it might be fun to put together a quick and easy crowd pleasing dish. All that is needed is a few pantry staples and any veggies you have on hand. The fact that this actually tastes like pizza came as a complete surprise. Spaghetti squash is a healthy, versatile vegetable. The flesh becomes beautiful noodle-like strands, that will take on whatever flavor you add to it. High in fiber and rich in nutrients, spaghetti squash is a tasty substitute for carb-heavy ingredients. Once roasted, the spaghetti-like strands easily pull apart as you rake it with the tines of a fork. You can remove the strands from the squash shells, but I thought using the skins as pizza bowls made a picture-perfect presentation.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups jarred or homemade tomato sauce I like Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or cheeses of choice
- Toppings of your choice I used yellow peppers and chopped basil leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Drizzle a little oil on the paper or foil. Using a very sharp knife, carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. You can microwave the squash for 2-3 minutes to soften it or roast the squash whole. Once cut open, remove the seeds and pulp from the center. Coat the squash with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves, skin side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a knife slides through the skin easily. The outside skin will be lightly browned. Let the squash cool for a few minutes.
- Using the tines of a fork, rake the flesh from the inside of the squash halves to loosen the strands. Add 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce to each squash half, mixing to coat the strands. Cover with the mozzarella cheese and your toppings, adjusting the seasoning if needed. Turn on the broiler. Place the squash back on the baking sheet and place in the oven. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is melting and bubbly. Remove from the squash from the oven, scoop out the strands (the skin is not edible) and serve hot.