Red, sweet and juicy, strawberries are ripe for the picking! There are many ways to enjoy these beautiful fresh berries, but I like the idea of a simple, fresh soup that involves no cooking. Strawberries are a good source of vitamin C, folate, and potassium. Although the strawberries provide a light sweetness, this is a wonderful savory dish. I added lightly toasted slivered almonds for a little crunch.
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-vigin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Toasted slivered almonds optional garnish
- Combine the strawberries, onion, pepper, cucumber, garlic, basil leaves in a blender or the bowl of a food processor, and blend the mixture until smooth. Add in the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Blend again. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a little bit of water to thin it out. Chill the soup until you’re ready to serve it. Garnish with fresh basil and toasted slivered almonds.