I’m starting off the new year with a healthy breakfast option. Naturally sweet bell peppers are a perfect vehicle for baking eggs, and an easy dish to prepare. I chopped and sautéed the flesh from the pepper tops on the stovetop with olive oil to soften them, and use in the filling along with kale and cooked bacon. After filling each pepper, bake until the eggs are set. A pinch of cheese could work here and a garnish of fresh parsley. Yum!
- 3 large bell peppers
- non-stick cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-vigin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped peppers
- 1/4 cup packed kale or spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the white membranes and the seeds. Carefully trim the bottom of the pepper if it doesn't lay flat. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until softened.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and mix with a fork. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Add the chopped pepper and the spinach to a small skillet with the olive oil, and give it a quick sauté. Add the sautéed veggies to the scrambled eggs and mix until combined. Add in the chopped bacon.
- Spoon the egg mixture into each pepper, and place back in the oven and bake peppers until eggs are set, about 20 minutes. Serve eggs immediately and top with chopped parsley.