The carrots with their beautiful green tops looked so appealing this week that I bought them with no real recipe in mind. Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene, vitamin A and antioxidants. Their natural sweetness makes them a perfect vegetable for roasting. This is a simple recipe because all you need is a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a handful of your favorite fresh herbs. I finished the carrots with a splash of citrus. Save the slightly bitter carrot tops for a zippy pesto, fun addition to a salad or as a leafy green garnish for soup.
- 2 pounds multi-colored carrots rinsed and cut in half length-wise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as chives, thyme or cilantro or a combination
- Squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray. Place the carrots in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and fresh herbs and season the carrots with salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine. Place the sheet tray in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Add a splash of citrus juice and serve.