Huevos Rancheros is a fiery and flavorful Mexican breakfast dish often made with fried eggs, a spicy chili salsa and served over corn tortillas. The tomato based salsa can be as mild or spicy as you desire. For the peppery kick, I used canned chipotle chilies and pureed the sauce for a smooth salsa, but keeping the sauce chunky is an option as well. This dish is a great choice for a quick, casual breakfast. Consider adding black or refried beans and shredded cheese. I gave the avocado slices a squeeze of fresh lime juice to help maintain their color and add a little zip to the dish.
- 4-6 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- 8 corn (or flour) tortillas
- 1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes with their juices
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce or to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1 large avocado sliced
- Optional toppings: jack cheese, avocado (fresh lime juice), cilantro, sour cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until it’s hot. Stack 2 tortillas in the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds and then flip the tortillas. Cook another 30 seconds. Turn the top tortilla over with tongs, keeping them stacked. Flip again and cook the bottom of that tortilla. The tortillas should be warm and puffy. Fry the remaining tortillas, adding oil as needed. Place the cooked tortillas on the baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven. Leave the skillet on the stove for cooking the salsa.
- Combine the tomatoes with the juices, onion, cilantro, chilies and garlic in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Puree the salsa until smooth. Season the salsa with salt and pepper. Re-heat the skillet that you just used to cook the tortillas. Carefully add the salsa to the hot skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy 12-inch heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs and add to the skillet cooking four eggs at a time. Cook the eggs to your desired doneness. Transfer the cooked eggs to a plate and cover to keep warm. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Place the warm tortillas on a large platter, top with the salsa and eggs. Garnish with avocado slices, chopped cilantro or any toppings of your choice.