A warm, custardy vegetable frittata is easier to make than you think and a great brunch idea for Mother’s Day. To perfect your frittata, use either a non-stick oven safe skillet or a well seasoned cast iron pan. After sautéing your vegetables until almost fully cooked on the stove top, add your whisked eggs to the pan and place it in the oven to finish cooking. Don’t over bake the frittata, remove it from the oven when it’s barely set and the consistency of custard. The eggs will continue to cook a bit even after you remove the pan from the oven. Serve your frittata warm out of the oven or at room temperature, with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and your favorite greens.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears tough ends trimmed and thinly cut on the diagonal (about 3 cups)
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 8 large eggs
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the butter and olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the asparagus begins to soften. Add the shallots and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the shallots are translucent and the asparagus is almost cooked through but still a little crunchy.
- Whisk the eggs together and add the salt and pepper. Remove the skillet of vegetables from the stovetop. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, stirring gently to evenly distributed the asparagus in the pan. Place the skillet in the oven. Bake the frittata for about 10-12 minutes, uncovered. Cook until the eggs are almost set. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the frittata starts to turn lightly golden in color. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Cut the frittata into wedges, sprinkle on the fresh chives and serve. You can let it cool and serve it at room temperature. The frittata can be made up to 2 hours in advance.