Chimichurri, a bright herby sauce originating in Argentina, is the perfect complement to rich, buttery salmon. Although there are many variations of chimichurri, garlic and parsley are the two main ingredients. My variation of chimichurri is made with fresh mint, parsley, cilantro, tangy vinegar and fresh garlic, which adds brightness and depth to the salmon. This healthy dish is vibrant, flavorful and delicious. Serve the salmon alongside roasted vegetables and your favorite rice or grain for a satisfying meal. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or an impressive dish for guests, this oven roasted salmon with chimichurri is sure to impress.
- 4 (6-ounce) fresh salmon fillets pin bones removed
- extra-virgin olive oil to coat the salmon
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 3-4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and coat with a little cooking spray. Place the salmon fillets skin-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Rub the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast the salmon until it flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part, 10 minutes per inch of thickness. You'll see the white albumin (protein) oozing out. I usually remove my salmon from the oven when it's just cooked through and still pink in the middle (medium).
- To make the chimichurri sauce, mince the garlic with a knife or through a garlic press. In the bowl of a food processor, add the minced garlic, mint, parsley and cilantro and pulse until chopped and combined. Add in the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Pulse a few times to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Pour the sauce over the roasted salmon and serve. You'll have extra chimichurri sauce which can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Pingback: Oven Roasted Salmon with Chimichurri — Zest For Cooking | My Meals are on Wheels