On cold mornings, I’m craving a creamy, steamy bowl of warmth and this bowl of porridge is totally satisfying, especially with the addition of pumpkin puree. Canned pumpkin is cooked and pureed pumpkin flesh, nothing more. It’s flavorful, nutrient dense and packed with vitamins and minerals. There are many options for topping your oatmeal. My porridge is topped with toasted pecans, plump blueberries and oat milk. Consider other types of nuts, dried or fresh fruit and your favorite milk. It’s a great dish to serve for brunch during the holidays.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup blueberries or berries of choice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or nuts of choice
- milk of your choice optional
- In a large pot over high heat, bring 2 cups water to a boil then add the oats and stir. Season with a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency is reached, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg and simmer until heated through, another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add your choice of toppings. Serve with your choice of milk.
Pingback: Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal — Zest For Cooking | My Meals are on Wheels