Preparing for a holiday brunch? Here is an easy and delicious dish to add to your menu. Although this recipe doesn’t have a classic hollandaise sauce, it has an avocado sauce that is a healthier version for sure! Instead of toast or an english muffin, I filled a big portobello mushroom with bacon, a poached egg and topped it with an easy avocado puree. Over a bed of lettuce or topped with fresh chopped herbs this is a perfect breakfast.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps cleaned, stem removed and gills gently removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-vigin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons extra-vigin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 cup fresh greens
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. Coat or brush the mushrooms evenly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the mushrooms for about 5-7 minutes on each side until softened and grill marks form.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the avocado, lemon juice and 1/2 cup hot water. Puree for a couple of minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the machine running slowly drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- To poach the eggs, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat so the water is at a gentle simmer and add the vinegar. Crack an egg into a small bowl, then gently slide the egg into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs, waiting until the whites are starting to set before adding the next one (about 30 seconds apart). After about 3 minutes, whites should be set and yolks still runny. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel, as they are done. Serve the poached eggs in the center of the roasted mushrooms over a slice of bacon and greens. Drizzled with the avocado sauce and serve.