Summer has arrived and with the celebration of July 4th around the corner, here is a delicious, savory “patriotic” parfait. With a quick and easy stove-top balsamic glaze for the sweet berries and freshly whipped homemade cream, this is a delectable dessert for entertaining and celebrating. This delightful treat is best served in a clear glass alternating layers of the cream and balsamic berries. Top the parfait with chopped fresh mint.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese chilled
- 1/2 cup heavy cream chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar and lemon juice. Bring the syrup to a boil over a low flame and reduce the liquid to about 1/4 cup. Set the syrup aside to let it cool completely. Place the cut strawberries in a bowl, if they are not very sweet add a scant tablespoon of sugar. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the berries, toss gently and let stand for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the chilled mascarpone, heavy cream and vanilla in a bowl of a standing mixed fitted with a whisk or use a hand mixer. Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Divide the berries coated in syrup over 4 clear bowls or glasses, alternating layers of berries and whipped cream. Serve with a sprinkle of chopped mint and lemon zest.
Refreshing and perfect for summer