Do you want an easy to make fish dish as an alternative to grilling or broiling? I was excited to explore a new option. Although I love salmon, because it’s a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, it was time for a fresh approach. Wow, the combination of the fennel, white wine and dill make this a fantastic, flavorful dish. The fish is simmered slowly in a combination of white wine and water (with no dairy), on a low heat which retains its tenderness. Served with hearty greens, this is an easy and fast weeknight dinner. Pick a firm white fish with a delicate flavor. The fishmonger recommended wild caught blue catfish which is delicious. Other fish options would be haddock, flounder, tilapia or cod.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8-10 ounces small Yukon Gold or other starchy potato, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/2 bulb of fresh fennel, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (good) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds firm white fish, I used wild caught blue catfish (consider using haddock, flounder or cod) cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the potato slices. Cook the potatoes until they start to soften, this will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Add the fennel and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in more oil if need and add the garlic, sautéing for about a minute. Add a pinch of salt and grind of pepper. Add the wine and let it almost completely evaporate from the pan, about 4-5 minutes. Add a generous 2 (plus) cups of water to the pan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the stew until the potatoes are soft. Add in the fish chunks and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let the fish simmer slowly until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes depending on thickness. Season the stew with salt and pepper. Stir in the dill and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Serves 4.
Awesome, looks easy, delicious and healthy 😊