These heirloom beauties are at their peak right now! A fabulous farmers market find. The heirloom varieties ripen faster than other types of tomatoes, so only buy enough to last for a few days. Please don’t store them in the refrigerator, but at room temperature instead. Pick tomatoes that are firm to the touch and free of open cracks. Fresh, ripe tomatoes really just need a sprinkle of sea salt to enjoy. That being said, here is a simple recipe that requires no cooking.
Ricotta Toast with Fresh Tomato
- 2 slices fresh bread (I used sourdough), lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 slices of a big beautiful heirloom tomato of your choice
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: drizzle of good olive oil
Spread the ricotta cheese on the bread slices, top with the tomato and fresh basil leaves. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil, if using, and enjoy!