What are you making for dinner? I hear that question quite a bit. I often have a plan in place, but tonight I did not. As I stared blankly at my almost empty refrigerator, it was obvious that all I could muster was some sort of salad. It’s time to fire up the grill, after the long winter, I thought. Grilled salad, what a brilliant idea, if I say so myself! If a grill isn’t available to you, a grill pan on the stove-top works just as well. Add a protein and you have a great meal.
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts (stem in tact, sliced down the middle)
- 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat grill to medium high. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over the romaine leaves and season with salt and pepper. Place the romaine hearts on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly charred. Place cooked romaine hearts on a plate and drizzle with the dressing (see recipe below), top with the cheese.
Citrus Caesar Dressing
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons anchovy paste (don’t skip this, it gives the dressing great flavor)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place all the ingredients in a pint size jar with a lid. Secure the lid, then shake to blend well. Store the dressing in the refrigerator, covered, for up to a week.