As the snow falls gently outside, I’m inside making some warm and nutty granola. A wonderful ginger and coconut aroma has wafted upstairs and I hear “mom, it smells so good”! Serve this crunchy granola over yogurt with a smattering of fresh berries, over ricotta cheese with a drizzle of maple syrup or fill a bowl and enjoy with milk. This granola is easy to make and would be a lovely gift too.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, halved dried cherries and/or crystalized ginger-finely chopped (all optional)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, almonds, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the applesauce with the honey and coconut oil. Add the applesauce mixture to the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Scatter the granola in a even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, until the granola is golden and crisp. Let it cool completely. Transfer the granola to a bowl and stir in the cranberries, cherries and ginger if using.
Source: Food and Wine