Coconut has many healthy properties. The milk is made from the meat of a mature coconut. It is a healthy saturated fat with antioxidant properties and is shown to fight against many diseases. Coconut is rich in phosphorus and magnesium, as well as lauric acid. Coconut is one of a few foods that contain lauric acid, which is shown to promote immune health and lower risk of heart disease and strokes. It is one of the best sources of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) . Coconut milk and coconut oil are easily digested, readily absorbed by the body and have shown to be a great source of nourishment and fuel. Try this smoothie, it makes a great breakfast option!
- 1/4 cup real unsweetened coconut milk (not the coconut beverage sold in the dairy section) I buy Native Forest Light Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk.
- 3/4 cup of water or unsweetened almond milk (or combo of both)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of almond, peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (optional)
- 5 ice cubes
Pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
A recipe I found on-line, adds in 1/4 of an avocado and 5 pitted dates…sounds interesting!
source: SF Chronicle/Healthy Eating